Re: car-sharing question (Findhorn)
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 12:42:49 -0800 (PST)
Graham Meltzer wrote about the car share system at Findhorn.
including:

> I would not say it's a particularly cheap way to go; probably the
> costs are equivalent to ownership of a medium priced small car.

A lot depends on how much you use a car which of course is related
to the availability and useability of alternatives - bikes, transit
etc.  I looked at the cost comparison chart via the web site for the
system there and it appears that for moderate use car sharing is
cheaper.  I converted the chart to have dollars and our public car
sharing system (below).

Any one care to dig out car ownership figures for the US?

Car sharing is something that cohousing is well suited to adopt
on a small scale.  It would be great if we can develop ways to
deal with the complexities particularly insurance.  BTW another
advantage of car sharing is the reduced need for parking on site
-- a significant driver of land requirements / cost in urban areas.

Fred

Cost comparison
Moray Carshare versus Owning a Car  http://www.moraycarshare.com/
The following tables compares Moray Carshare prices with the cost of
running a small car, e.g. a Toyota Aygo, bought as one year old and
sold and replaced when it is 8 years old.
Moray charges Pounds Sterling   Dollars
Cost per mile        0.21        0.29
Cost per hour        0.75        1.04
Petrol cost per mile 0.10        0.139

Ourcar ** $55 annually  $6.75 /hour $0.35 per mile

Example 1: With the usage of an average member
(22 hours and 130 miles per month = 1,560 miles/year):
                                  Pounds     Dollars
                                  Per  Per  $ Per  Per
Cost of owning your own car       yr   mo     yr   mo
Depreciation, set-aside or loan   857  71   1191   90
Insurance                         350  29    487   40
Service, MOT & repairs            300  33    417   46
Road tax (rates: April 2017)      140  12    195   17
Petrol (10p per mile)             156  13    217   18
TOTAL                            1803 150   2506  209
                                                        Ourcar **
                                  Per  Per  $ Per  Per $ Per  Per
Cost of using Moray Carshare      yr   mo     yr   mo   year  month
Subscription                      192  16    267   22     55    5
Hourly charges (75p per hour)     198  16    275   22   1716  143
Mileage charges (21p per mile)    328  27    456   38    546   46
TOTAL                             718  60    998   83   2317  193

Example 2: With a higher usage:
(50 hours and 333 miles per month=4,000 miles per year):
                                  Pounds     Dollars
                                  Per  Per  $ Per  Per
Cost of owning your own car       yr   mo     yr   mo
Depreciation, set-aside or loan   857  71   1191   99
Insurance                         350  29    487   40
Service, MOT & repairs            400  42    556   58
Road tax "rates: April 2017)      140  12    195   17
Petrol (10p per mile)             400  33    556   46

                                                        Ourcar **
                                  Per  Per  $ Per  Per  $ Per Per
Cost of using Moray Carshare      yr   mo     yr   mo   year  month
Subscription                      192  16    267   22     55
Hourly charges (75p per hour)     450  37    626   51   3900  325
Mileage charges (21p per mile)    840  70   1168   97   1399  117
TOTAL                            1482 123   2056  171   5354  446

Note this table is from   (3/3/18)
http://s3.spanglefish.com/s/31371/documents/cost-of-mcs-vs-own-car.pdf
Simplified, dollar column and Ourcar added
by Fred H Olson fholson [at] cohousing.org
Note that Dollars are just conversion for
exchange rate 1 pound = $1.39  No revised estimates for USA costs made.

Fred

--
Bassett Creek Cohousing, Minneapolis  http://mn.cohousing.org/bcrk/