Re: car-sharing question (Findhorn)
From: Sharon Villines (
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 13:43:26 -0800 (PST)
Another way to calculate costs for car sharing is to use the IRS standard
deduction of 54.5 cents per mile that is calculated to cover all costs, fixed
and variable. Actual expenses could be lower for small, inexpensive cars and
higher for large expensive cars. But as Fred’s figures demonstrate, trying to
project actual costs is time consuming with endless variables and what-ifs.

If I were setting up a system, I would start with the standard mileage rate and
use it for 3-5 years before making adjustments. I would expect a cohousing
group to have lower costs but the extra can be used to build a reserve fund for
repairs and replacement.

It would make life simpler while ensuring that these charges would be
sufficient. Drop them when you have real data to work from.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC