Re: Experiences with/as disabled people in cohousing
From: Joan Sidney (jssidneysidneyfamily.org)
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 17:56:37 -0800 (PST)
As someone in a power wheelchair interested in co-housing, please share any
info. Thanks, Joan

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 8:27 PM, Allison Tom <allison.tom [at] telus.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am working with a group of others from forming cohousing communities in
> the Vancouver, BC, area. We are planning to host a session about disability
> in cohousing at the upcoming Canadian Cohousing Conference.
>
> I met today with the others in this panel. Turns out we all have
> experience with disability in some form, but none of us has yet lived in
> cohousing.
>
> The four of us have all run across attitudes ranging from caution to
> hostility from experienced cohousers when we’ve talked about wanting to be
> sure “inclusivity” includes disabled people.  I think we need to learn more
> about what lies behind this apprehension.
>
> I would love to hear from anyone who is willing to talk to me about
> experiences that have given rise to this caution, as well as experiences
> that might counter the caution. Please feel free to reply on or off list. I
> won’t repeat any stories without specific permission.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Allison Tom
> Allison.tom [at] telus.net

Joan Seliger Sidney <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/>
Body of Diminishing Motion
<http://www.joanseligersidney.org/diminishing.html> (CavanKerry), Eric
Hoffer Legacy Finalist 2015
Bereft and Blessed <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/bereft.html>
(Antrimhouse)
Special Research Associate / Writer in Residence
University of Connecticut Center for Judaic Studies and Contemporary Jewish
Life
http://www.joanseligersidney.org