Re: Experiences with/as disabled people in cohousing
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:42:52 -0800 (PST)
Maybe I'm naive, but . . .

I'm a reasonably able person, meaning whatever minor disabilities I have do not rise to the level that someone would identify me as needing special accommodations of any sort. I'm stuck with my white male privilege.

Nonetheless, I don't find it the least bit difficult to make space in my mind for accommodating others' needs in the cohousing community we've designed and are about to build. This has been an issue front and center throughout our long years of working with architects and engineers and working within our own group to establish policies and rules. And the architects, engineers, and other consultants are all on the same wavelength with us on this topic.

Yes, it's entirely possible we've overlooked something and will have to make adjustments (in construction details as well as in policies) as more people with various kinds of disability join us. But I cannot imagine that anyone in the group would resist welcoming someone who wanted to be part of a cohousing community. (This is completely aside from the fact that we are subject to fair housing laws, which mandate that we behave in the way we are inclined to behave anyway.)

I wonder whether people whose inclination is to ignore other people's challenges and avoid accommodating them as long as their own needs are met are good candidates for cohousing in the first place.

Dick Margulis
Rocky Corner cohousing
Bethany CT
www.rockycorner.org