Re: Experiences with/as disabled people in cohousing
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:15:37 -0800 (PST)
To simple this up a bit, I’ll set aside common disabilities such as blindness
and deafness, and focus on what we tend to think of when we hear “disabled”:
mobility impairment, such that the disabled person engages in most activities
and participation while seated in a wheelchair (or more recently, on an
electric scooter).  My questions are about the complete accessibility of common
kitchens.  For those of you living in established communities ...

     ? Can you list the accessibility features you’ve designed into your common
kitchens?  That is, 34” counter heights, 5’ turning radii, roll-under sinks and
cook-tops, specially configured appliances, storage and controls limited to the
heights approved for side and forward reach, and so on?  Are such features
offered in just a part of the kitchen, or are they the universal standard for
the entire kitchen?
     ? And, if you have mobility-impaired residents, do any of them regularly
(or occasionally) take on a significant role in preparing, serving and cleaning
up for community meals?

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing