Re: Experiences with/as disabled people in cohousing
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 11:47:02 -0800 (PST)
In my former community, we had interest during construction from a woman with
extreme environmental sensitivities. As head of outreach, I was torn between
being welcoming and being honest about how far the community would go to
accommodate her condition. Since it was a multi-family building, it would have
meant nobody using anything scented anywhere, no BBQ in the courtyard, etc. I
was relieved when she declined.

If she had joined early and gotten involved, I think the community probably
would have tried to work with her, but it would have been tough. I had visions
of an visitor walking by her door wearing perfume and sending her to the
hospital. It was too much to ask.

Katie Henry

Allison wrote:

I responded by saying that I'm interested in the difference between what we
"imagine" and what people have thus far /experienced./