Re: Experiences with/as disabled people in cohousing
From: Dick Margulis (
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 13:45:58 -0800 (PST)
On 3/7/2018 3:41 PM, Sharon Villines wrote:
One problem with writing a diversity statement is sounding like you have a list
of diversity tokens you want to check off.

It took us a year to write our vision statement, but one of the first elements we decided on was that the word "inclusive" was not going to appear in it. The overall statement has gone through some editorial revisions over the years, but we've stuck with that choice. The current version of our diversity statement is this:

"We seek out and are open to new ideas and to all interested people who share our vision and values and are able to share fully and fairly in community responsibilities."

Period. If you agree with our values and can commit to what you are able to do, you're welcome. We have understood "fully and fairly," all along, to mean precisely that it's fair to ask you to commit fully to do what you can and it's not fair to ask you to do what you can't, regardless of the reason. No labeling, no stigma. We're all differently abled in one way or another, and our abilities will change as we age. Such is life.

But the takeaway is that if you try to write a sentence that lists all the categories of people you're going to include, you've already lost the battle, because you're already putting people into categories.

Dick Margulis
Rocky Corner cohousing
Bethany CT

WE GOT OUR BUILDING PERMITS LAST NIGHT!!! Closing on our construction financing by March 26.