Re: Seeking Examples of Cohousing Implementation Plans
From: Katie Henry (
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 12:32:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi Chris,

I'm afraid there's no such thing. Cohousing is not Ikea; every community is
unique in a thousand different ways and there are no standard assembly

Your community is unusual in that it's an urban multi-family project built
without any cohousing professionals. Most self-developed projects are
lot-based, where each member builds their own house on their own timeline,
often stretching out for years (decades), and there's not a lot of urgency or
dependence on others. You're in the opposite position, months away from
starting a massive construction project, future home for 45 households,
compressed schedule, countless decisions to make. You're in uncharted territory.

You've read these books, right?

Have you sent members to cohousing conferences? Those can be hugely valuable
for forming communities. There are two in April -- one in Boulder and one in

I'm curious what you meant by this: "I would like to know if any experienced
organizations have used strategic planning before and after offers to purchase
units we accepted." I don't know what strategic planning means and I'm
wondering how it would be applied to bringing members into the community. Are
you rejecting offers to purchase?

Katie Henry

Thanks Katie Henry . This is a great starting point . Our board members have
been working on several of these aspects . Has anyone published a recent
Cohousing guide on planning for move in . We are focusing on self- management
and would like to keep our financial costs to a moderate level. I noticed that
several people have asked this question in the list serve history.  Chris