Re: Seeking Examples of Cohousing Implementation Plans
From: Lynne Markell (lmarkellrogers.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:25:34 -0800 (PST)
This has been fascinating to read. I ask the same question - who is the
cohousing group that is in charge? I presume that this is the group that will
be the decision-making body re the managing the cohousing.
It should only consist of "owners" and can have consultants or part time staff
to help with some aspects. It  sounds like you have a developer who can handle
the design-construction aspects and that is good.

Our cohousing group has been very organized with 50 members in a nonprofit
organization formed in 2016. We eventually created an equity membership (15
households) to finance the project.  We take time to orient people and then
they start coming to the membership meetings and working on committees. We keep
a waiting list and only invite new members when we need more. We do not have a
site or building yet, but are getting close.  Some of us have backgrounds in
community development, co-operatives, and organizational management.

I urge you to get some help with the group building process as you "sell the
units", so these new owners are learning how to work as a community.
Forget about the concept of a "strategic plan", just use what is available in
written form, talk to other groups who will tell you what went well and what
didn't in this phase, and spend a little money on a cohousing consultant, if
only to advise on the areas of work to be done.

We have a board, which has turned into a coordinating committee and then task
groups for various aspects.  You could do the same re finance, governance,
rules, communications, membership, liaison with developer, etc.  If you forget
something, create a new committee or work group and have them do the research
and report back to the whole group. The consensus decision-making process
forces you to do a lot of preparation before meetings.

We do not have a cohousing consultant because they are not available here in
Ontario, but we brought in a consultant from BC for two weekend workshops - one
on aging well in community and another on consensus decision-making. Both we
were full (25) and were financed by a small fee ($100 and 125). Don't be afraid
to ask people for money to pay for outside help.

One final piece of advice: insist that new owners/community members come to
meetings and work on at least one committee.  They are not condo owners, they
are members of a cohousing community.  Together you are a creating a community
that is of your making. Everyone needs to be in on the vision and how you will
make that happen. Write it down, and create policies and the organization
structure to enable it. This is as important as the foundation of your new
building!

Hope this is helpful,
Lynne

Lynne Markell,