Re: Kitchen flooring material: ?anyone used ceramic tile?
From: Ruth J Hirsch (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you very much, Dick.  Already helpful!
This is for the CommonHouse kitchen
Over wooden sub floor.

ruth

On Mar 11, 2018, at 2:44 PM, Dick Margulis <dick [at] dmargulis.com> wrote:

On 3/11/2018 2:22 PM, Ruth J Hirsch wrote:
> Hi,
> We are looking at kitchen flooring material.
> Complicated decision.
> Someone has suggested ceramic.  Has anyone actually had experience with this?
> Concerns include:  breakage of items dropped and how does the grout wear?
> Appreciate your input

Does the question concern home kitchen or common house kitchen? The concerns
are similar but not identical.

The first issue is what's the subfloor constructed of? If this is a suspended
wooden floor (over a basement or crawl space, in other words), then there is
some give to the floor, and in a home kitchen the wear and tear on knees might
not be a major issue. If the tile is to be laid on a concrete slab, though, and
if this is to be in the common house, where meal prep can take a few hours, I
can tell you from personal experience that some people will experience
significant knee pain over time. Maybe other joints and spine, too. (I worked
for several years in a commercial bakery that had a ceramic tile floor over a
concrete slab. Yeah, there's a difference between two hours of meal prep and
fifty hours a week of heavy lifting, so it's a matter of degree, I guess.)

Breakage is definitely a problem. This applies not just to glassware and china
but also to knives (and you do not want steel shards flying around any more
than you want glass shards flying around).

Grout can be problematic. If the floor is not sloped to a floor drain, standing
water (from spills or from mopping) can erode and lift grout if there are any
imperfections. Grout can be dug out and repaired when that happens, but if the
kitchen is in daily use, there may not be enough time for the patch to fully
cure, and the cycle will continue.

Dick Margulis
Rocky Corner cohousing
Bethany CT

PS:  I have an intermittent e-mail glitch.  If you write and do not hear back
from me shortly, please call me or please re-send.  Thank you,  Ruth