Re: Kitchen flooring material: ?anyone used ceramic tile?
From: Sharon Villines (
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 07:39:10 -0700 (PDT)
On Mar 11, 2018, at 2:22 PM, Ruth J Hirsch <heidinys [at]> wrote:
> We are looking at kitchen flooring material.
> Complicated decision.

I did flooring research for Takoma Village a number of years ago. I can tell
you a few things.

We originally had Marmoleum “planks” which are tiles on wood pieces that clip
together. It was a disaster. We didn’t know that Marmoleum should only be damp
mopped and we never had it “polished” which is a waxing. Using planks meant
that all the seams were exposed to water. Marmoleum is a wood product so the
whole floor was quickly a mess. Plus the water was going through the planks to
rot the subflooring.

We replaced with a sheet of Marmoleum and heat sealed the one seam. We have it
professionally “polished” once a year but that isn’t enough for the kitchen. It
fairly quickly starts looking dull. Every 2-3 months would be better.

Well-maintained Marmoleum will last “forever”. The color is consistent
throughout so when the surface wears down the color and pattern don’t change.
If it is polished, only the polish wears.

Marmoleum will also stretch for a year or two after it is installed so a second
and third trimming might be required depending on how much it is boxed in on
all the edges.

At last to ceramic tile. Marmoleum is fabulous on the feet and is quiet. It
absorbs sound. It requires a lot of maintenance in kitchens. Our hallways,
children’s room, and laundry do fine with polishing once a year, though
personally I think twice would be better. We damp mop in between. The same
would be required of ceramic tiles.

Years ago when we “all” had linoleum in kitchens, as soon as it began to look
dull, we added a coat of polish -- monthly or more often. Removing the old
polish was done once or twice a year. If you were careful in applying a thin
coat, then it had to be removed less often before it started building up and
looking messy.

Marmoleum vs linoleum from a vintage floor installer: Marmoleum is made by a
company that has been developing it for decades. When linoleum was introduced,
it was very popular but was replaced with vinyl tile that was maintenance free.
Companies stopped making linoleum. But not the Marmoleum people — they
continued to develop it. It is now better that the linoleum produced by other
manufacturers who are playing catch up.

Marmoleum also has hundreds of incredibly beautiful colors and patterns. Of
course we chose a color and pattern by consensus so we have safe and boring but
it is a beautiful floor. The best site to see all the colors:

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC