Re: Kitchen flooring material: ?anyone used ceramic tile?
From: Dick Margulis (
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:50:26 -0700 (PDT)
Our common house (construction begins soon!!!) is going to be slab on grade. Further, our local health department is treating the common house as a food service establishment (we gave up arguing about it), and the kitchen will be licensed and inspected. (We'll also have a sufficient number of members with ServSafe certificates to meet that requirement.)

As I've been the point person on design and equipment for the kitchen, working with a commercial kitchen designer, my assumption has been that we'll use mats at all the work stations, as a minimum, and maybe for all the walkways too, depending on cost. I'm talking about the thick black mats (like this: that get rolled up, dragged outside, and hosed down, followed by the sealed concrete floor being mopped.

Maybe there's a better or more economical solution, and I'm still open to suggestions. But whatever it is has to be easy on the feet and knees.