Legality of membership agreements. Is it discriminatory?
From: Barbara Opyt (barbopytgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
We were thinking of having prospective buyers sign a statement something
like "I have read the member handbook and will support the requirements of
living in this cohousing commnity."  However, a realtor in our midst says,
" Just so you all know, it is illegal to have potential buyer's sign
anything in the state of TN because it looks discriminatory. As a realtor,
it is actually illegal for me to discriminate- it is clearly stated in our
rules. I know we wish for like minded people to be in our community but as
Realtors, we are not allowed to turn down an offer based upon some of
things you have listed above since this isn't a Co-Op."

Has anyone had the legality of their membership requirements questioned?
Thanks in advance,
-Barb Opyt