Re: Legality of membership agreements. Is it discriminatory?
From: Sharon Villines (
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 04:46:43 -0700 (PDT)
> On Mar 12, 2018, at 4:51 PM, Barbara Opyt <barbopyt [at]> wrote:
> " Just so you all know, it is illegal to have potential buyer's sign
> anything in the state of TN because it looks discriminatory. As a realtor,
> it is actually illegal for me to discriminate- it is clearly stated in our
> rules. I know we wish for like minded people to be in our community but as
> Realtors, we are not allowed to turn down an offer based upon some of
> things you have listed above since this isn't a Co-Op.”

I don’t remember whether this is done in a separate document, but purchasing a
condo in DC and I assume everywhere, binds the buyer to abide by the rules of
the condo. Anything in the bylaws and policies is binding. I don’t think any
other agreement is necessary.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC