Legality of membership agreements. Is it discriminatory?
From: Mike Mariano (Mikeschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 11:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
"We were thinking of having prospective buyers sign a statement something like
"I have read the member handbook and will support the requirements of living in
this cohousing commnity."  However, a realtor in our midst says, " Just so you
all know, it is illegal to have potential buyer's sign anything in the state of
TN because it looks discriminatory. As a realtor, it is actually illegal for me
to discriminate- it is clearly stated in our rules. I know we wish for like
minded people to be in our community but as Realtors, we are not allowed to
turn down an offer based upon some of things you have listed above since this
isn't a Co-Op."

We are a resident-owned and occupied apartment building in Seattle, Washington
where all households have a total of 100% equity ownership in the company that
owns the building in which they rent their home. Our construction and take-out
bank lender specifically had us each sign a document indicating that the
participation and process described in our cohousing documentation would never
be a prerequisite for selection of a tenant.

We simply keep all of that cohousing/community-specific documentation separate
from our LLC Operating Agreement, and hope that future resident(s) will
self-select after attending "suggested" business meetings and meals.

Mike Mariano

CapitolHillUrbanCohousing.org

...where it was an unseasonably warm 70-degrees in Seattle yesterday, and we're
anxiously trying to get our general contractor to finish the warranty roof
repair so that we can plant our rooftop garden again.

michael mariano aia | schemata workshop, inc.
principal & architect
1720 12th avenue
seattle wa 98122
d 206 743 9431   c 206.419.9122