Re: Zoning Statue that mentions Cohousing?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 14:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
Eileen —

This subject has been covered on this list in the past.  You might check the
archives and see what you find.

In summary … cohousing is plain ol’ condo development.   Legally and
financially we’re just a condo or co-op.  No particular zoning is required. We
fit right in.  Some communities have had cohousing zoning created in their
municipality but it’s really not necessary unless there is no condo/co-op,
cluster or multi-family zoning in the municipality.

Creating cohousing has enough challenges w/out having to create a zoning
statute.  Personally, I don’t want cohousing to raise any eyebrows or
questions.  The more different or unique we are the harder it is for the powers
that be to wrap their heads around what we’re doing.  So when I talk w/
government or financial people … we’re just a condo.

Good luck in your quest to build cohousing, Eileen.  It’s an exciting
adventure.  Let us know your progress.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic