Re: zoning
From: Fred H Olson (
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 04:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah wrote:

>In our town of 9000, if  you want to do something different from the
>pre-existing zoning and platting, you do what's called a Planned Unit
>Development. In efffect, you erase all the existing rules and make your own
>plan, and then defend this plan to the authorities. So you show you aren't a
>wetland, have sewer-cleanout and fire engine access, adequate roads and
>parking, acceptable density, etc etc. This is what we used to set up RoseWind
>Cohousing many years ago, and what the Port Townsend Ecovillage did, and I
>assume what the new Quimper Village cohousing here did.
>Check whether there is an equivalent process available to you (to "developers")
>where you live. The process is not tied to it being cohousing, or not.
>Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
>RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA

The  Planned Unit Development ("p.u.d.") option is pretty widely
available tho it varies a bit and goes by different names.
Unfortunately, in Minneapolis the minimum size for a PUD is 1 acre
and most of the possible sites we are looking at are somewhat less
than an acre. Is that typical? If so, does anywhere make exceptions?

Bassett Creek Cohousing, Minneapolis
The site we were planning on but did not control has soil contamination
we do not think we can deal with so we are looking at other sites and
recruiting members. We have 4 invested household.

Fred H. Olson  Minneapolis,MN 55411  USA        (near north Mpls)
     Email:        fholson at      612-588-9532
My Link Pg:

  • Zoning John R. Abrams, January 13 1998
    • Re: zoning Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah, March 21 2018
    • Re: zoning Fred H Olson, March 22 2018

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.