Re: Question about Household Decision
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 07:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
One critique I’ve heard is that consensus decision-making is most effective for
groups united in pursuit of a clear goal or well-defined mission.  In such
circumstances, extended dialog normally, or eventually, produces agreement on
the optimum path or choice for achieving the group purpose.  Unfortunately,
most cohousing communities may have trouble coming up with a well-defined,
non-ambiguous, measurable common goal or mission.  Lacking a shared standard of
excellence against which to test choices, consensus (removal of all objections)
can often be hard to obtain.

At Cornerstone, we reformed our consensus process in 2013.  We embellished it
with a dialog structure and schedule of events and interactions that turned it
into a real process.  The process is never shorter than 2 months (2 plenaries),
and for controversial matters, may take 3 months or more.  But the intent is
always the same:  Develop and adopt a proposal falling within the tolerance
range of all, by identifying, exploring and resolving all objections.  (I call
this achieving unanimity, but I know experts and purists are dead set against
allowing “unanimity” to be the result of the consensus effort.)

Now here’s the problem:  Let’s say we’ve been at it for quite a few months,
working strenuously and in good faith to find consensus, and have forged
compromises and creative solutions that have resolved all objections … except,
maybe, for a couple.  We have a couple members who simply don’t “like” the
proposal, and apparently will never consent to it.   So what’s the best outcome
for the community:  The status quo (a failed proposal)?  Or, “voting” to allow
the preferences of the strong majority to prevail?

At Cornerstone, we’ve gone for the latter.  Yes, let’s try very hard for
consensus — but in some cases, if that’s simply not working out (for lack of
shared purpose), then let’s try super-majority voting.  At Cornerstone, the
threshold for over-riding a few unresolvable objections is 75%.

The story of how that’s worked out for us might be the topic of a follow-up
post.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing