Re: Question about household decision
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 06:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
I am wholly unqualified to provide legal advice to anyone, so if looks like
I’ve said anything potentially interesting, be sure to double-check it with the
legal experts in your jurisdiction.  With this preamble as warning, here’s how
I’ve seen it sorted out at Cornerstone, in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts:

Condominum ownership and occupancy exists by virtue of state enabling
legislation.  The Commonwealth’s primary concern for condos is that some
identifiable entity has the power and the duty to protect the property, and the
property interests of the owners.  Most of the time, this is accomplished by
the formation of an association “governed” by an elected Managing Board.

How the Board is chosen, how it makes decisions, how it collects and spends
money, etc, are not dictated in (much) detail in Massachusetts (as compared to
a more stringently regulatory state like California).  So in Massachusetts, the
Commonwealth does not know or care anything about committees versus circles,
double links versus sausage links, or consensus versus casting the I Ching.
The main thing it cares about is, Is there a duly elected Managing Board in
place, and is it acting to preserve the property and protect the interests of
the property owners?
      At Cornerstone Cohousing — no surprise here, and common to other
cohousing — many or most key decisions are made in plenary, by consensus, and
many powers and duties are delegated (by the association, at plenary) to
committees other than the Managing Board.  Our Board does have a few unique
powers and duties, but one of its “duties” is to ratify (“rubber stamp”) the
decisions made and actions taken elsewhere.  This fulfills the Commonwealth’s
requirement of having an identifiable entity of ultimate authority and
accountability, while at the same time allowing for a Cohousing-like
distribution of power and duty broadly throughout the membership.  Sometimes we
call this the “weak Board” model — not as a pejorative, but as our shared
intent.

At Cornerstone, for better or worse, distribution of fiscal power and duty is
broad, just like distribution of other power and duty.  Cornerstone stays
functional in part to a “budget” of volunteer hours, which for us, is just as
essential as the budget of dollars.  Additionally, keep in mind the four issues
that condos — especially formational ones — are most likely to argue about:
Guns; pets; smoking; and “noise” (subtext: kids).  So self-governance is not
always just about money.

Voting?  In Massachusetts, the “association” is made up of “units”, and for
some circumstances, units “vote” according to weight of percentage interest.
So the “vote” of a big unit counts for more than the vote of a small unit.  At
Cornerstone, our consensus efforts are almost always successful (or abandoned),
and we rarely go to voting.  In the rare case that a vote occurs, for us it's
normally one household, one vote:  What we vote on may not be a case falling
within the requirements of the Commonwealth, and we do not recognize a split
household.  But for objections, it's always one member, one voice.  Members
living in the same household need not agree on the objection, and indeed we
will sometimes have a case where one member objects to part of a proposal, and
his/her partner does not join the objection.

But like I said, this is what works for us in Massachusetts.  What works for
you in your jurisdiction could be quite different.  Bottom line: You’ll
probably find that the enabling legislation authorizing your existence as a
condo or HOA provides plenty of latitude for you to behave like cohousing.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA