Re: Wall street journal article
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 04:48:48 -0700 (PDT)
We need to be a little careful and skeptical here.  Grafting the latest
"high-efficiency" technology onto an extravagant private dwelling positioned on
a sprawling low-density site plan will not get us to the sustainable future.
Not even close.
      I like to think that the cohousing ethic includes living in, not the
biggest house one can afford, but rather the smallest house one can make work.
And if one's community offers a lot of space- and amenity-sharing, and people
learn to cooperate in a sharing program (sounds easy, but it’s not), then it
turns out one can probably “make work” a very small house indeed.

Meanwhile, there are at least three reasons why so many Americans feel that
housing is unaffordable:
        1) American wealth and income are increasingly concentrated in the top
decile.
        2) On-site construction remains a handicraft.  And …
        3) As Will Rogers once noted, They ain’t making any more land.
Developers and architects can design the bejesus out of their projects, but
cannot, by themselves, address any of these foundational problems.  Like
everyone else, they function within the system.

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

mobile: 617.460.4549