Happy National Cohousing Open House Day!
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 06:05:03 -0700 (PDT)
Curious about cohousing? Want to see what it's really like? Compare
communities? Get inspired? Now's your chance.

Here's what I blogged about it on the Coho/US website.

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach and Cohousing California regional organizer
2018 Coordinator, National Cohousing Open House Day
at Berkeley (CA) Cohousing

Read the whole thing with embedded links here:
http://www.cohousing.org/2018openhouseday

It's that time again! National Cohousing Open House Day is today, Sunday,
April 29, 2018.

We've got over 60 cohousing neighborhoods across the country participating
this year, plus a few on alternate dates this week; one community is
offering an online virtual tour.

While communities with homes for sale and some others regularly host tours
and open houses, for most of us living in cohousing, everyday life is about
living our lives, enjoying our private homes and shared community
connections, so we don't welcome unscheduled visits. Without someone to
give you context and make introductions, seeing the architecture won't give
you a lot of insight into community life.

For Open House Day, though, we're stepping up and making the commitment, as
part of a larger movement, to say, "join us!" While there are not openings
for rent or sale at every community, just having the opportunity to meet
people and imagine living there can help you build the relationship that
could lead to the opportunity you're looking for.

Here's some highlights worth exploring, wherever you are planning to call
home:

* Boulder, Colorado: Three communities within a mile of each other are open
during similar extended afternoon hours so you could walk or bike between
them. One community, designed for aging, has three members planning to move
within a year, so you could potentially buy in together with friends

* In North Carolina's Research Triangle, nine different communities,
established and forming, will be open. One forming community, Village
Hearth, will have an info table at a nearby established community's Common
House, in addition to doing its own site tours.

* In the San Francisco Bay Area, a regional umbrella group has been
coordinating hours between several Oakland/Berkeley/Emeryville communities
to make a full day of it, and is offering a guided van tour that includes
stops at a cohousing-style tiny home ecovillage and a nomadic community
where members live in buses, and then ends up at a BBQ. One forming group
will be present at open houses for three different established communities
in the area.

* Several communities are hosting kids' activities, providing refreshments,
or organizing other fun activities for all. Check our list for details.

Some tips when visiting: (inspired by lists created by Joani Blank, a
longtime organizer and activist in the national cohousing movement)

* Remember that you are visiting private homes and Common Houses that are
opening up by choice, not because they have to. Always be respectful and
appreciative, and respectful to only enter designated spaces at listed
times. Keep in mind that often just one or two members are hosting the open
house, and the rest of the community wants to just go on with life as usual.

* Wear comfortable shoes, especially for visiting unbuilt sites or groups
with homes under construction; in some homes, you may have to remove your
shoes to go inside.

* If bringing kids along, they are your responsibility -- none of the
communities listing with us are offering childcare. We have had visitors to
my home community who assume that when their kids run off and play that
other kids or parents will look after them, but this is generally not the
case. It's about relationships, not providing a service or transactions.

* Don't bring pets without advance arrangements. We've had folks show up
with critters and get surprised by issues of allergies and triggering
reactions from other animals and people around.

* Read up in advance on the communities you are visiting, from our
Directory and/or their websites, so that you can avoid repeating the
same-old boring questions and use your time to learn what matters for you.

* Always ask before taking pictures, especially of people, and especially
of kids.
Pay close attention to signs and instructions from your hosts about where
to park and what spaces/homes are open.

* Talk to other community seekers you meet, perhaps you could join them in
forming something new!

Check out the list, and make sure you're up-to-date (there have been a few
last-minute time changes and cancellations, as well as several additions in
the past few days). Bring along some friends and/or family. And get out
there and explore!