Re: Common Space- More or Less?
From: Trevor Granger (tsgrangergmail.com)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 08:52:44 -0700 (PDT)
Dear David,

How exciting for you! I can give some preliminary estimates that seem to be
generally agreed upon (though I am no expert, so be sure to do your own
research):

1. 15 - 35 is the typical range - somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot
for most communities. Too few and it doesn't "feel" like a community, too
many and bureaucracy takes over and decision-making tends to break down.
2. Commonhouse Kitchens tend to be about 250-300 SF and the great room
should be large enough to accomodate about 2/3 of the residents at one
time. In the US, I've seen this number quoted: total ground-floor area is
about 2,000 - 4,000 SF, with an additional 1,700 SF of basement/second
floor space.
3. All of the above. It's up to the community to decide what they want /
can afford. The "core" and universal components of all common-houses are
the kitchen and great room.
4. Two things to consider that I've heard frequently: universal design
principles for accessibility, and acoustics. There can be quite a din with
40 people eating in the great hall at once, so investing in good acoustic
design is highly underrated.

Hope that helps, and good luck.