Re: who owns the common house?
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 13:13:31 -0700 (PDT)
On 5/7/2018 3:29 PM, Becca Brackett wrote:
The added expense of the commonhouse beyond the cost of the housing units being built seems to be putting the cost of buying a unit much higher than comparable accommodations.

Depends how you look at it.

The homes we're building average about 1,000 square feet (a range of sizes to accommodate different bedroom counts, but that's close enough for this purpose).

Our common house is 4,500 square feet, and everyone has full use of it as a shared resource.

We have 30 homes.

So here's the math:

You are PAYING FOR a 1,000 square foot home and one-thirtieth of a 4,500 square foot shared space. That's a total of 1,150 square feet of space you're paying to construct.

You are GETTING, for all intents and purposes, a 5,500 square foot home.

So what do you consider to be a comparable? Yes, if your comparable is a 1,000 square foot home, then it's a heckuva lot of money. But if your comparable is a 5,500 square foot home, then you're looking at a great bargain.

In our case, because we're building on a 33 acre property, we extend the argument. You're PAYING for a bit more than an acre, but you get to USE most of the 33 acres. So, again, it's quite the bargain.

Dick Margulis
Rocky Corner cohousing
Bethany CT

Construction has begun! Homes to be completed between March and June 2019. www.rockycorner.org