Re: who owns the common house?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 20:04:35 -0700 (PDT)
Becca — Nomad Cohousing in Boulder shares its CH w/ a community theatre.  You
might contact Zev Paiss at this email address:

Zev [at] AbrahamPaiss.com

If you are going to share your CH with an organization such as a daycare center
or Sr. center … your costs just skyrocketed because these kinds of facilities
have very strict rules on architecture and engineering.  Lots of rules to
follow … It’s really an order of magnitude above a “clubhouse” or community
building designation.

Also … if your group is forming the non-profit then the group cannot profit
from the non profit status.  In other words, we can’t use a non profit to
shield benefits to community members unless the NP is wholly owned and operated
outside of the membership.  And even then I’d be cautious.  Now, if you want to
be a CHURCH … that’s totally different!  Our Lady of the Common House has a
nice ring to it …

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic