Re: who owns the common house?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 20:43:36 -0700 (PDT)
Well.  This is one of the times I disagree w/ my neighbor, Sharon.  I don’t
remember any voice of the members saying we wanted to use the CH for ourselves
only.

While it is true that little kids use the playroom during the day … our CH
which is well used other times is mostly vacant.  Sometimes there are day time
community meetings but not many. And sometimes a few people who work at home do
use the CH.  But honestly, as for most cohousing, it’s an underutilized
facility.

And, we are welcoming to our neighbors.   We DO open our CH to our larger
neighborhood.  We’ve had many community meetings, law enforcement meetings,
bike trail meetings, etc. etc. etc. in our CH.

I think strategic alliances with the larger community can reduce your operating
expenses and can be done to accommodate the needs of the parties.  It’s really
not rocket science to develop a schedule and policies or guidelines for use.

Anyway … best thing is to find communities who share their CH facility such as
Nomad and ask how that’s working for them.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic