Re: Unseen Bullying Epidemic in Senior Communities - with hot link
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 06:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Alan and all —

Why do you find this surprising?  Bullies age and get old just like everyone
else.  We have a 72 yr old one in the White House.

What is maybe a surprise is our expectation that people will become sweeter and
gentler as they age.  Maybe because we think aging bullies and aggressive
people will be softened by the knowledge that they are moving into another
dimension in their lives?  I think it’s the opposite.  My personal experience
is that as people age they become even more of the person they are.  A gentle
person is a gentle person when they pass the magic 65+.  And a cantankerous
person gets crankier.  (Of course, there ARE exceptions to both scenarios e.g.
Ebenezer Scrooge comes to mind …)

Crimes and violence and abuse against the elderly is a major problem in the
U.S.  The Federal gov’t and local municipalities devote resources to combat
this.  Maybe one of the benefits of living in a cohousing community as we age
is that the community can exercise intervention among members to keep this kind
of behavior at bay.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic