Re: Unseen Bullying Epidemic in Senior Communities - with hot link
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 12:48:55 -0700 (PDT)
On 5/16/2018 3:33 PM, Nancy Baughman Csuti wrote:
I was under the impression that anyone who wanted to move into a for-sale
cohousing unit could otherwise it violates fair housing laws. Do people
actually have to agree to the principles and spirit of cohousing to buy a
unit?

It would depend on whether the community was organized as a condominium or a co-op. Co-op boards indeed have the ability to vet buyers, although they are required to comply with fair housing laws just like everyone else. That is, you can't discriminate based on membership in a protected class, but you can discriminate on some other basis.

In our case, we're a condo association, so we have no say in who decides to buy. However, we do impose a set of requirements on homeowners, one of which is a requirement that they agree to our stated values and another of which is a requirement that they agree to abide by our rules.

Someone can lie, of course, and claim to agree with something they do not agree with. That's a risk we take, because we realize that there's not much we can do to prevent lying. That said, we rely on the fact that living out in the middle of nowhere in a neighborhood of expensive, small, closely spaced homes with most amenities in a building teeming with neighbors is a concept that doesn't appeal to everyone. So why would someone deliberately lie to be able to live there?