Re: Washing machine recommendations and concerns?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 10:15:44 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 16, 2018, at 8:23 PM, S. Kashdan <s_kashdan [at] hotmail.com> wrote:

> Here at Jackson Place Cohousing in Seattle, Washington we have a shared
> laundry with two washing machines and two dryers. We need to replace one of
> the washing machines with a new one. The repair person has recommended that
> we move up from the regular large home use model we currently have to a
> heavy duty model, not necessarily commercial grade.

I’m not an expert on our laundry equipment—we have 2 washers and 2 dryers — but
I have researched the top and front loading bit. Definitely you want front
jerking back and forth. We started with commercial machines but I’m not sure
about the new ones. They are certainly not what most homes would buy.

What I would advise is checking things like what happens if too much detergent
is used or people put small items in like baby socks without using net bags?

Most of our repairs are for those two things — honestly. I’m dumbfounded that
our new SpeedQueen, which is otherwise reported to be fabulous, doesn’t have a
filter that catches baby socks or bikini underwear. Our laundry room person has
learned how to unplug the drain but it’s awkward and messy and unpleasant.

Once you get above a certain quality level, I suspect that kind of
consideration is more important than brands and models.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC