Re: Internet, cable, and wi-fi
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 14:41:51 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 18, 2018, at 5:03 PM, Linda Hobbet <linda [at] hobbeton.com> wrote:

> As we approach construction we are starting to look at the nitty gritty of
> getting high quality Internet and wi-fi and all the benefits of modern
> technology.
>
> I have heard about communities bringing in a high-speed cable but that it
> requires knowledge to maintain. What does that entail and how hard is it to
> learn?

What requires maintenance is the routers that carry the internet to all units.
Our system suffered from having 3 members who had different ideas about how to
do it—and testing alternatives. Periodically something goes out but it is
stable now.

You need someone who understands it — or have an installer install it who will
then  maintain it for you. Someone in house can do the basic stuff like restart
the router from time to time. Calling someone else means the system will
probably be down for hours because they have to have time to come out.

I’m going wireless in my house. I’m just so tired of cords and cords and cords.
My cleaners can’t clean without pulling something loose.

During our last reserve study we asked about upgrading wiring. We have
“ethernet” I don’t know the name of the cables but they are 18 years old. He
said don’t bother. Everything is going wireless. It’s a waste of money.

> What is the best way to go these days to get high quality Internet/streaming
> video/phone service/etc at the best price? Can anyone suggest resources to
> learn about the options in relatively simple English?

We have 2 business service modems, each from a different provider, that serve
43 units and the CH, guestrooms, etc. More and more people are have wireless
routers. Service is very fast and reliable. We have a lot of people who work
from home, watch videos, and stream music.

We tried many things and the business service modems are best and least
expensive. Business class has produced much faster service.

When one goes out, we still have the other one.

> We have some environmentally sensitive people in our community and I know
> that at least one wants cable rather than wi-fi.

We have had several very scientific literate people who had said this is not a
reasonable fear. I forget what examples they used but they said there are far
more impactful things in the environment and wireless is negligible.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC