Re: Definition of Bullying
From: Joseph Wheeler (wheeler76gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 17:10:33 -0700 (PDT)
I had to read Sharon's email a few times and I'm still not totally sure of
the point, but I think she is saying that efforts to address bullying or to
overemphasize its impact could undermine our efforts to foster a diverse
community that is inclusive of all personality types, including bullies.

To that I say: Yes! We should encourage and embrace many kinds of diversity
and foster open and honest sharing of a wide range of opinions, but I
wholeheartedly support efforts to demand respectful behavior as a condition
of participating in consensus-based decisionmaking processes and to exclude
people who demonstrate a pattern of abusive behavior. Failure to do so can
make it very unpleasant for everyone involved and, more importantly, can
cause some members to withdraw or stop participating all together. A
process that prioritizes the interests of the abuser over the abused and
continues after some members withdraw to avoid the abuse is not a true
consensus process.

-Joe

Joseph Wheeler
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC

(Best practice: When sending emails to listservs, avoid racially
inflammatory signature lines.)

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Sharon Villines <sharon [at]
sharonvillines.com