Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 172, Issue 24
From: Mike Mariano (Mikeschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 09:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
On May 25, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Mitchell Darer <mitchell.darer [at]
gmail.com<mailto:mitchell.darer [at] gmail.com>> wrote:

"ensure safe materials are used in place of any 'non-safe / toxic' materials
contractors might use?

There are a lot of resources out there for how we can all build better. With an
industry built around toxic materials, it can be an expensive challenge to get
healthy materials into buildings and out of the global production stream. But
we have to start somewhere. Definitely find a local architect and GC/builder
that understand your interest, and that can work with you to identify goals.
And read up on what is out available to help you understand and develop a
vision that will eventually be informed by your construction budget.

Living Building Challenge is an intentionally very high bar, but is a resource,
especially their Materials Red List:
https://living-future.org/lbc/materials-petal/

Look for a local supplier that has legitimately taken time to vet the materials
they sell, though each will still require that you assess as well. Here's one
that we have in Seattle:
https://www.ghsproducts.com/

Best wishes as you make your way on the journey,

Mike

michael mariano aia | schemata workshop inc
architect & principal
206.285.1589
www.schemataworkshop.com<http://www.schemataworkshop.com>