Re: Denmark Cohousing [Was Innovative Models for Independent, Assisted and Full Care Homes
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 09:57:14 -0700 (PDT)
There are an increasing number of very nice urban communities....add to those
listed below: PDX Commons in Portland, the new Vancouver Cohousing in...yes,
Vancouver, BC, Wolf Creek Lodge in Grass Valley, and Phoenix Commons in
Oakland.

But, North America is unique in the world in that we are still largely a single
family house, 2-story housing world. Only in our dense cities, like Washington
DC, would families with kids consider living in an elevator building. And thus,
yes there are more urban models in Europe.  That being said, I am proud of
cohousing's track record in getting people to consider denser living,
especially those American's that have traditionally avoided "condos" like
families with kids, and people moving from single family homes.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

www.cohousing-solutions.com

On 5/29/18, 9:08 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Ann Zabaldo"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

    Hey!  I think both Takoma Village Cohousing in DC which is a densely
developed urban “residential” site (43 homes on 1.43 acres) and Eastern Village
Cohousing (56 homes on 1/3 acre) which is really, truly, densely developed site
also “hit them out of the ball park!”

    And I would add to that Swan’s Market in Oakland CA — gorgeous cohousing
community residing atop the rehabbed Oakland market, Cambridge Cohousing in
Cambridge, MA is another urban community.  Lots of urban cohousing in TALL
apartment like condo buildings …

    Best --

    Ann Zabaldo
    Takoma Village Cohousing
    Washington, DC
    Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
    Falls Church, VA
    202.546.4654

    As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The
Covert Comic

    > On Jun 25, 2015, at 12:54 PM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net>
wrote:

    > The stunningly beautiful Durham Central Park Coho is of course a
demonstration of how urban, apartment-style cohousing can hit one out of the
park.

    > Philip Dowds
    > Cornerstone Cohousing
    > Cambridge, MA
    >
    > mobile: 617.460.4549
    > email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>
    >
    >> On Jun 25, 2015, at 12:25 PM, Sharon Villines <sharon [at]
sharonvillines.com> wrote:

    >> I was struck by a presentation at the Cohousing Conference on cohousing
in Denmark that the communities were much more like tall apartment buildings
just like most of the American condos.

    >> They had gardens maintained by residents which our condos don’t normally
have. Residents are required to spend 4 or so hours a month on community
support and maintenance, including gardening.

    >> They also have elevators which many or our cohousing layouts can’t
support -- not enough floors to justify the cost. But lack of an elevator is a
major restriction for anyone with a temporary or permanent disability, older
people for whom stairs are often difficult (hard on the hips), and anyone with
a stroller, shopping cart, basket of laundry and one hand on a toddler.