Call for Articles: Communities #181: The Culture of Intentional Community
From: Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 22:21:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

/Communities/magazine is now seeking articles for issue #181, *"The Culture of Intentional Community."*The issue will be out in December 2018.

Please send your article idea to editor [at] ic.org by *Friday, June 29, 2018*.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, August 17, 2018*.

1. Theme articles:*The Culture of Intentional Community*

 * If you are a communitarian, how do living in and co-creating the
   collaborative culture of intentional community affect your daily
   life and your perspectives on what happens throughout your day?
 * How does a particular experience, or set of experiences, in your
   daily life (incidents, conversations, etc.) illuminate or reflect
   the culture you are creating collectively?
 * How does your experience serve as an example of ways in which
   intentional community life can address a basic cultural element,
   such as economic relationships, interpersonal communication,
   religion, spirituality, power dynamics, etc.?
 * The precipitating element(s) in your story can happen either within
   your community or outside of the community (within the dominant
   society or from media, etc.). You could write about insights you
   gained harvesting turnips with fellow community members or shopping
   for supplies in a mega-store; browsing your community's foundational
   documents or reading articles about international politics. How does
   the culture of community affect how you perceive and experience your
   life, your interactions with others, and the world?
 * What wisdom can the culture of community offer to the wider world?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your responses—these are what will make ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

 *

   Creating community in your neighborhood;

 *

   Starting a new community;

 *

   Process and communication issues in community; and

 *

   Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please checkic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/.Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check ic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org <mailto:layout [at] ic.org> for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What "Submitting an Article"**Means.*We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.*Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines for additional details.)

*III. Publication Rights.*Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: ic.org/communities-magazine-home."

*IV. Photos.*If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check ic.org/submissions to-communities-magazine or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
editor [at] ic.org

Ways to support /Communities/: _Subscribe <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/subscription/>_●_Give Subscriptions <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/gift-subscription/>_●_Order Back Issues <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/category/communities-magazine/back-issues/>_●<https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/wisdom-of-communities-volumes-1-2-3-4-complete-set/>_Order /_Wisdom of Communiti_//es/_ <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/wisdom-of-communities-volumes-1-2-3-4-complete-set/> ● _Order /Best of Communities/ <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/category/best-of-communities/>_●_Donat <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/communities-magazine-donation/>e_●_Advertise <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/category/advertising/>_●_Sponsor <mailto:editor [at] ic.org?subject=Communities%20magazine%20sponsorship%20info>
_

--
Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/