Re: handling legal matters
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 05:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
Joe —

Thanks so much for the prompt and pertinent response — and for sharing what I
see as a very clear, comprehensive, and sensible version of individual and team
power and duty.  But I do have a follow-up membership question:  Team
membership is open to all and voluntary, but how (if at all) is it defined,
recorded, and official-sized?  For example ...

If I have been a hermit in my unit for the last several years, but suddenly
show up at a well-noticed meeting of the Furniture Team to protest an
expenditure of $2500 on new dining room tables … then how is my input
processed?  Am I now a volunteer member in good standing of Furniture Team,
with a right of objection that escalates the decision threshold from
significant to major?  Even though it’s my very first appearance as a volunteer
at a Furniture Team meeting, is my view just as important as those of the other
members, who have been laboring on the dining room table problem for the last
18 months?  Yes, I see the part where individuals are expected to stay informed
and participate early — but is it enforceable?

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

mobile: 617.460.4549