Re: Question re defibrillator
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 16:59:22 -0700 (PDT)
We had an interesting discussion about AED's. Someone proposed we get one for
the common house, but then one of our residents that is a nurse spoke against
it. She said she would personally not feel comfortable using an AED on one of
her neighbors, even though she is more than qualified as a nurse to do so. She
said this was because she had spent too much time with people in hospitals that
had been "saved" but were very unhappy (pissed off!) about the condition they
were left in, often wishing they had been allowed to die. You can imagine, that
really changed our conversation and took it in a totally different direction.
There was a follow up discussion for deeper sharing and exploring, but we
dropped the idea of having an AED in the common house.

Katie of Nevada City Cohousing
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 6/22/18, 7:08 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Karolyn/Richard Mangeot"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of richard.mangeot [at] usa.net> wrote:

    We have a proposal to buy a fully automatic defibrillator Zoll AED Plus for
    our common house.  Questions:
    1.  Does any community currently have a defibrillator?
    2.  Are there liability insurance issues we need to consider?
    3.  How do you deal with people who have a Do Not Resuscitate order?
    4.  Anything else we should know?
    Thanks!
    Karolyn Mangeot
    Elderberry Cohousing