Re: Common house meal prices
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 05:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
At Cornerstone, the cooks do their own shopping, and get reimbursed for the
cost of ingredients.  After the meal, the Accounting Department divides the
total cost of ingredients among the total number of customers (kids are
one-half a customer), and invoices quarterly.  For our most elaborate,
multi-course festival meals, the charge per customer can be $10 or $12 — but
these events are rare.  The typical common meal tends to carry a price tag
closer to $5.  In most cases, there is food left over at the end of dinner, and
that evening’s customers can take away left-overs, first come first serve.  In
theory, cooks recognized as using high-end ingredients might be shunned for
cooking meals that are “too expensive” — but in practice, it does not look like
this is happening.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing