Re: Question re defibrillator (Karolyn/Richard Mangeot)
From: Marilyn Seiler (marilynseiler72gmail.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 07:17:31 -0700 (PDT)
AEDs are now standard equipment for public entities.  We have an AED in the
office at the Common House. It is clearly marked on the outside of the
door. At the the time we obtained it, we offered hands-only CPR with AED
training for all Community Members. You have about 9 minutes to obtain and
use the AED when an incident occurs which is a fairly good length of time.
We have a Zoll fully automated AED which requires minimal maintenance. I
check it at least quarterly. Batteries last for 8-10 years and are fairly
inexpensive. Adult pads need to be replaced every 5 years. Pediatric pads
(for use on children younger than 8) are rarely needed unless someone has a
known cardiac problem. Those pads need to be replaced every 2 years at a
cost of just under $100.  Most states have a Good Samaritan law that covers
the liability for healthcare professionals and the general public. We have
a sheet of paper taped to the AED bag with the signatures of those persons
who have a DNR and/or do not want the AED used on them. In addition those
persons have the official documentation in their homes. All members have
completed an emergency information contact sheet which is kept in a locked
file cabinet in the Common House and a copy given to one other person (not
related) in the Community. We have discussions on these issues at least
every other year.  I actually  think it has the potential for being used
more for guests than for Members. Ours has not been used in the more than
four years that we have had it.

Peace, Marilyn

Marilyn Seiler
​Oakcreek Community Cohousing​