Re: Common house meal prices
From: Ann Lehman (annzimmerman-lehman.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 15:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
Our meals at PDX Commons appear to be a bit more expensive ($5-$10,
generally $7/8) but our system is fairly easy except that it involves cash
and more people.  Cooks sign up in advance, currently for a meal on a
Monday or Thursday. They also ask for helpers for both prep and clean up to
sign up (can be 2-6).  The cook is responsible for shopping for food, we
have a kitchen team that takes care of basics but often we end up buying
something for the kitty.  Folks sign up for a meal and the cook just adds
up how much they spent (honor system no receipts), divides by how many have
signed up and sends out an email on the day of the meal with the cost.
There is sign-in sheet where you can check off your name and having paid.
Anyone can take leftovers although generally, cooks take first. Our meals
include a salad, main course, and dessert.  The bar has been set fairly
high for meals, which can be intimidating for some so a lot of folks just
help.  If you sign up you pay, even if you don't show, you can have a meal
saved if you are late. You can sign up guests but they (or you) also pay
for their meal.  There is generally (but not required) a vegetarian,
non-gluten option. BYOB for drinks other than water or tea.  Our latest
addition (but not required) is for cooks to provide a specialized drink for
the helpers:-) This is our first year so we will see if we can maintain
this as time goes on.

Ann Lehman
Governance and Gender Consultant
Zimmerman Lehman*forging futures for nonprofits
**http://zimmerman-lehman.com/ <http://zimmerman-lehman.com/>
*510.755.5701 (Mobile)

ENEWS Subscribe to our free e-newsletter,ZimNotes
<http://www.zimmerman-lehman.com/subscribe.htm> or find us on:

TWITTER <http://www.twitter.com/alehman> LINKEDIN
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/zimmermanlehman>FACEBOOK
<http://www.facebook.com/zimmerman.lehman>