Re: Coho without work expectations?
From: Joyce Cheney (jcheneyjcgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 14:17:20 -0700 (PDT)
I'm a newcomer here, so these are stories I have heard, not lived thru.

No work requirement - or expectation - came about for two reasons: when
construction was over and the group was moving in several years ago, the
group had to sell the remaining slots to whoever would buy in order to stay
financially afloat, so the whole co-housing thing was understandably
downplayed in favor of mortgages. Secondly, the founders were idealistic
and believed that "everyone would simply want to pitch in" and "it would
all work out." Now, most - definitely not all - residents would prefer that
newcomers be involved in community activities and projects, including
participating on committees and with work, but there is no expectation or
requirement. A hope of participation held by most, but that is not the same
as an expectation. jc