Re: Coho without work expectations?
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 14:38:05 -0700 (PDT)
Owners of cohousing are in the same boat as owners of mainstream housing.
Regular and repetitive yard work and housecleaning are vital to the condition
of the property.  The three universal choices are …
Do it yourself.  (Can use up a lot of “free time”.)
Pay somebody else to do it.  (Can cost a lot of money.)  Or,
Watch things go funky.  (Can impact quality of life, community morale, and
resale value.)
Balancing among these three alternatives can get tricky in cohousing.  For
instance, when you pay someone else, the burden is spread “equally” or at least
according to the dues formula.  But when some volunteer heavily while others
are unavailable, inequality may eventually promote a lot of repressed (or not
so repressed) resentment.

Not explaining the cohousing lifeway to the last wave of buyers may have been
an omission with durable consequences.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing