Re: Coho without work expectations?
From: Alice Alexander (aliceanne4gmail.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 07:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
Durham Cohousing has a policy on member expectations, but it pretty much
mirrors what we display on our website <http://www.durhamcoho.com>.

We have the benefit of members who do share their diverse and considerable
talents to create a very successful community. We have a database of
responsibilities, with folks taking the lead and making sure the tasks get
done. We have a weekly tickler for tasks that still need doing, e.g.,
sweeping the dining floor, or monitoring the contracted cleaning folks, and
folks sign up. We have a WIT (working it together) hub that oversees our
work responsibilities, and also organizes community work days every 6
months. This system works well for us!

To specifically address your questions Joyce:
The guidelines are spelled out in our member expectations, previously
shared. We do suggest folks serve on at least two hubs or task circles. But
no hrs per month are suggested or required. We do have a sign up chart,
primarily to ensure tasks get done. We don't use this to ascertain if folks
are doing their fair share. There are no consequences for not working, but
then we don't have that issue, although it can't be denied that some work
far more than others. We are more concerned that folks can contribute to
tasks that make sense for them, that align with their skills and interest,
and this keeps folks engaged. We also no longer assume, e.g., one of our
members, a very busy lawyer by day, is quite proud as he should be with
taking charge in putting out our trash and recycling, and has done since
move in four years ago. That was a job we originally assumed would rotate,
since nobody would want to do it!

This isn't to say we don't pay attention. We annually have interviews with
members of WIT to talk about our engagement, and how we could improve our
system. And we do have shifting in who is doing what, primarily
organically, e.g., "I'm stepping back from this job, here's what it
involves, talk to me if you are interested...."

Alice Alexander
Durham Central Park Cohousing
Durham, NC