Re: Questions about Reserve Amounts
From: Joseph Wheeler (wheeler76gmail.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 08:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
At Takoma Village, we have tried to gradually increase our reserve
contributions every year.

Our 2018 budget provides for about $235,000 in income from condo fees. (We
also have about $5000 income from voluntary contributions for guest room
use that go into our general operating funds, about $3000 interest income
on our reserves that we reinvest in the reserves, and contributions from
departing members that go into a separate "special projects" reserve.)

We contribute almost half of the annual income from condo fees to our
replacement reserve ($93,000) or maintenance reserve ($22,000). In our 18
years of operation, we have never had to ask members to pay a special
assessment.

With 43 units of varying sizes, our monthly condo fees range from $357-638
with the average being about $455. Of that average fee, about $223 would go
to reserve accounts.

We have commissioned a reserve study every 3-4 years and those studies
inform our budget process. Our most recent study recommended continuing to
increase reserve contributions about 5-6% per year to avoid risk of special
assessments.

The basic formula for calculating our condo fees is that 1/2 is split
evenly among all the units and 1/2 is variable based on square footage of
the unit.

-Joe Wheeler
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC