Re: Questions about Reserve Amounts
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 11:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
To respond to Philip’s question based on Joe’s excellent figures — the costs of
maintaining, repairing, and replacing the commonly owned elements are not
particularly related to how many people live in a unit. The cost of the unit
should include an evaluation of the reserve funds. Healthy reserves, higher
prices. Low reserves, lower prices and greater risk.

The reasoning behind the condo fee 50/50 split was that some elements are equal
between units — we all have one parking space, for example. Parking is
expensive. It is unlikely that a large unit would use the CH more than a small
unit — the guest rooms are more likely to be used by small units.

But in fact, our large units do not necessarily have more people in them. We
have a 4br with a full basement with 1 person, and a 3br with a full basement
with one person. For years we had a 1 bedroom with a single parent and child.
And a one bedroom with a single parent and 2 children.  Size of unit is not
necessarily related to the number of people living in the unit. Most of our 2
bedrooms have 1 person.

Another way to look at the reserves is to divide by the number of units —
$93,000/43= ~$180 a month per unit. It seems like a lot but it also covers a
lot. It has been a great comfort not to have to worry about replacing the HVAC
system or replacing the roof when we were able to add solar panels.

Having a reserve study with a graph of expenses at least 50 years out—ours goes
100 yrs—makes it much easier to convince residents that we need to have that
much in reserves.

Sharon