Re: Public vs Private [was Takoma Village Has a New Face Book Page!
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 22:03:38 -0700 (PDT)
I appreciate Raines addition to this discussion, and whole heartedly agree that
the most direct benefit of some public presence (whether that is Facebook or
just giving regular tours) is finding buyers who appreciate what our
communities have to offer for future home availability  (whether that is a
renter or a buyer).

Also, talk to some of the newer or forming communities, and you'll learn how
much visiting existing communities inspired them. Seeing is believing!

But these days, I think there is another, less direct benefit, for opening up
our communities in whatever way residents can handle.... we live in a world
that seems to believe people can't work out conflict in civil discourse. The
idea that neighbors could work together to create a better neighborhood that
also makes us better people and more active in the world around us is RADICAL!
Eat dinner together.....amazing!  Most Americans don't believe it is even
possible, let alone desirable, to live the way we live in cohousing.  I believe
every cohousing community is a beacon of light that people can work together to
create more than we can do alone, and I've seen how this inspires
people...whether that is to create their own cohousing community or to start a
dinner club in their existing neighborhood, or just to know it is possible.

In my own community, I try to be very conscious of people's sensitivities and
not to over use it. And I am ultimately an introvert myself, so the last thing
I want to do on a weekend  is explain how it all works. But I am very grateful
for every community that is willing to take the time to offer tours and open
their doors to show it is possible. We get so much news on facebook these days,
is great to see working communities out there in addition to all the worldly
disasters. (Think of it as part of the Resistance.)

And if you want to get those millenials to buy into your community (they are
starting to buy homes), you'll need a facebook presence or they may never even
know you exist. You might want to talk about what is appropriate to post, but
personally, I'd love to see a lot more from existing communities on FB that
counters all the propaganda the American public is bombarded with that a
bigger, nicer house/kitchen/bathroom will bring me happiness.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions and Nevada City Cohousing