Re: Question about Consent Governance - Blood Pressure Rising
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 05:37:33 -0700 (PDT)
David et al. - Our place had its monthly community meeting last night. One of
the community members is a nurse. She put together a pretty good first aid kit
that includes a blood pressure cuff. She also, ironically, was the "heart
keeper" for the night who intervenes if temperatures rise.

At the beginning of each meeting we have an "ice-breaker." I was the
facilitator and had a demonstration of how to use the cuff. It was also an
experiment to measure if meetings cause blood pressure to rise.

In addition to myself, there were three attendees who participated in the
experiment and one resident in a "control group" who didn't attend. After the
meeting, three member blood pressure readings went up slightly by a couple
points, mine went up moderately, 8 points. The control group resident who
stayed home from the meeting had a blood pressure reading that dropped
considerably by 15 points.

The results are anecdotal, but reinforcing group behavioral norms and
expectations before a meeting begins and naming a "heart keeper" who is
empowered to keep the peace are a couple practices that can help prevent
negative meeting tones to escalate.

Thx
Alan O.

Alan O'Hashi - ECOS