Convincing Neighbors [ was Eugene Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 10:44:51 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 1, 2018, at 12:52 PM, Kathryn McCamant <kmccamant [at]
> cohousing-solutions.com> wrote:
>
> This type of useless neighborhood opposition, and the American resistance to
> any reasonable density (afterall, we are just talking 2-story townhomes with
> plenty of room for gardens) within established cities is only adds to keeping
> housing prices high and cities car dependent.
>
> I hope the larger cohousing community will support those communities that run
> into unreasonable neighbors..... unfortunately, this kind of unreasonable
> fear has killed or lessened many a good project.

Perhaps other communities who faced these problems can share their stories so
potential communities can understand that (1) it is isn’t personal, and (2) how
to change it or just live through it.

Addressing issues with data — doesn’t work with those who don’t accept data
over their own fears but you can’t assume everyone in the neighborhood is of
the same persuasion as the loudest. Pictures of other communities might help —
small communities, not crowded social events and parking lots to the side which
amplifies the number of cars. Do a study of your own car use. I think people
have the idea that people who live in “apartments” are driving in and out all
the time.

Fewer cars in cohousing — I’m sure there are figures on this somewhere but cars
have greatly reduced numbers in our community. When we moved in, I think only
one unit of 43 had no car and several had 2 cars with one parked on the street
because we provided only 1 per unit. Within a year people were allowing their
first and second cars to die and not replacing them. 18 years later there are
5-6 spaces available for rent or guests and no second cars that I know of.
People share regularly. We also are 2 blocks from the Metro and bus lines but I
suspect cars are used much less in other communities too.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC