Re: Convincing Neighbors [ was Eugene Cohousing
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon's example of parking at Takoma Village is very interesting, showing an
actual reduction of cars in the community over time. I wish the Research
Network could collect data like this as it would be very very helpful for new
communities.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 8/1/18, 10:44 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Sharon Villines via
Cohousing-L" <cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at]

cohousing-solutions.com> wrote:

    > This type of useless neighborhood opposition, and the American resistance
to any reasonable density (afterall, we are just talking 2-story townhomes with
plenty of room for gardens) within established cities is only adds to keeping
housing prices high and cities car dependent.

    > I hope the larger cohousing community will support those communities that
run into unreasonable neighbors..... unfortunately, this kind of unreasonable
fear has killed or lessened many a good project.

    Perhaps other communities who faced these problems can share their stories
so potential communities can understand that (1) it is isn’t personal, and (2)
how to change it or just live through it.

    Addressing issues with data — doesn’t work with those who don’t accept data
over their own fears but you can’t assume everyone in the neighborhood is of
the same persuasion as the loudest. Pictures of other communities might help —
small communities, not crowded social events and parking lots to the side which
amplifies the number of cars. Do a study of your own car use. I think people
have the idea that people who live in “apartments” are driving in and out all
the time.

    Fewer cars in cohousing — I’m sure there are figures on this somewhere but
cars have greatly reduced numbers in our community. When we moved in, I think
only one unit of 43 had no car and several had 2 cars with one parked on the
street because we provided only 1 per unit. Within a year people were allowing
their first and second cars to die and not replacing them. 18 years later there
are 5-6 spaces available for rent or guests and no second cars that I know of.
People share regularly. We also are 2 blocks from the Metro and bus lines but I
suspect cars are used much less in other communities too.

    Sharon
    ----
    Sharon Villines
    Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC