Re: Diversity
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 10:11:16 -0700 (PDT)
When I read Beverly description of the Yarrow EcoVillage shares suites, it
makes me wonder have people totally forgotten how to work things out together?
For a decade in my twenties, I lived in shared houses of 4+ people, shared
bathrooms and kitchen. We worked it out, and often had fabulous community
dinners.  It was just the most affordable way to live, but we also had fun.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 8/5/18, 2:51 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Beverly Jones Redekop"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of beverly.jones.redekop [at] gmail.com> wrote:

    "Pinnacle Cohousing is finally (after years of zoning problems) looking for
    members (aiming to have our first stage move in Fall 2019), and one part of
    our design is apodments - 3 sharing a kitchen (there will part-time kitchen
    steward, probably someone who lives here, but not necessarily, who will
    help organize leftovers, kitchen organization, etc.  With designed shared
    housing, using a pod model, we may make some of our homes slightly more
    affordable.  We also hope to have a few of the units be rentals."

    Groundswell Cohousing at Yarrow Ecovillage allowed a pair of
    member/investors to build "the quad" which sounds exactly like your
    apodments.  Four  units have individual large bathrooms and a shared
    kitchen and living room.

    It is one of the worst ideas we ever had around here.  We keep burning out
    members of the welcome team because it is such a drag to keep orienting the
    transient people as they move in and out of the quad.

    Adults don't like sharing kitchens and they move out the second they can.

    Build bachelor suites with tiny bathrooms and kitchenettes, but this shared
    kitchen bother is a source of endless friction and drama.

    If you built tiny bachelor suites, residents could still use the common
    house kitchen for larger projects when they were in a shared kitchen mood,
    but they would have their own little kitchenette for when they want to eat
    breakfast in their underwear or when they feel a bit unwell and want to be
    able to leave a couple of dirty dishes in the sink for a day or two.

    You could also build your two-bedroom units to have dual master suites,
    allowing owners to rent out the second master suite as desired.  Two
    parties can share a kitchen, especially when one party is the
    owner/investor who is choosing and hosting the renter.

    Four unrelated parties who all have equal responsibility or lack thereof
    for the space....they move out all the time.  They move out as soon as they
    can.

    Our biggest wish here is for the four owners (none of whom live in the unit
    anymore -- see above where I say that people move out as soon as they can)
    to coordinate to renovate the quad into two conventional two-story
    townhouses.

    There is nothing wrong with renters or roommates, but a purpose-built space
    is a mistake best avoided.

    Sincerely,
    Beverly, former member of welcoming team, quit because of pointlessness of
    welcoming the revolving carousel of the quad

    It feels sad to welcome people whom you know won't stay.