Re: Late HOA payments
From: Bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 13:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
 The Community knows when the fund is accessed because we disclose all
financial info quarterly, just not who.  We set it up this way because we
didn't want the barrier of embarrassment to prevent those who need it from
accessing it.  It's worked well without dissent or disruption so far (10
years).  I agree it would be better if people had fewer feelings about
disclosing money issues but we need to deal with how things actually are rather
than how we would like them to be.  The Taboo about discussing personal
finances is pretty strong.                        Bonnie Fergusson
          Swans Market Cohousing
                        Oakland, CA

    On Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 10:18:18 AM PDT, Sharon Villines via
Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

 > On Aug 15, 2018, at 12:43 PM, Bonnie Fergusson via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l
 > [at] cohousing.org> wrote:
>
> It is used at the discretion of the Treasurer (to maintain privacy for the
> borrower it doesn't go through the whole Committee or HOA) so members just
> talk to whoever the Treasurer is if they need the help.

Many people in my community also have this attitude - all financial
transactions are private— why?

Why should one member of the community have this information and not others?

How does this affect equal access to financial records and understanding of the
community’s functioning — both social and financial?

In a cooperative community that is jointly owned and managed, why shouldn’t
everyone be informed when exceptions to policies are needed/requested? We have
to request exceptions to all our policies on the private members list, or can
ask a team to request them for us. Why is money — essential to community
functioning — be any different?

Why should we be any more embarrassed and secretive about money on which we are
all more dependent than other needs? I need to go to the hospital. And
ambulance will be arriving for Harry who is having chest pain — not critical.

Optimally, the person would explain to the community, not the treasurer. And
would receive the same care and consideration they would receive if they were
ill and needed dinners delivered.

I just don’t understand it.

Sharon
----