Re: Why buildings should be dumb boxes
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 10:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
One of many things I was told, as a first year architecture student, was that
“Corners are expensive.”  I was not told, however, that corners are bad because
they cost money.  Rather, the point was resources are finite, and need to be
deployed wisely.

Lots of things are expensive:  Corners and surface articulation.  Diversity of
choice.  A night at the opera.  Ornamentation and diamond necklaces.   It’s
certainly true that, all things being equal, a woman with a diamond necklace is
more costly than a woman without.  But this does not lead directly to a
conclusion that the main point of life is to make things as cheap as possible.
We can make our gardens easy and inexpensive to maintain by paving them over.
But is that what we want, really?

Thanks,
RPD